Friday, June 1, 2012

Friday Randomness

~~I finally read the MacKade Brothers books by La Nora and enjoyed them muchly. Interestingly, the two books that were Carolyn's favorites weren't mine and the two books that were mine weren't hers. I love me some Carolyn but I do question her taste. Heh.

~~I finally figured out one of the reasons I love the Isaac video (see post below) so much. That is besides the joy of sweetness and romanticism of it. It's that Isaac really isn't in it. It's not all a huge ego thing and look at me. Very awesome and about love and family. How can you not love it?

~~Why do so many people do so much complaining on Facebook? If your friends list was say, 30 people and you know them all since high school, okay, that's one thing. But when you have 2,637 friends and a bunch of them are authors and strangers (most of them in fact) then why are you posting about your horrible neighbors/bad breath/erectile dysfunction?

I see Facebook as a friendly tool but not a place to bemoan my saggy boobs or the fact that George Clooney got a restraining order on me. I've decided to unfriend anybody who annoys me now. I should be down to just me and Carolyn in a day or two. And soon it might just be me. Heh.

~~Regarding Carolyn, she's still very much alive, so those of you who are worried, don't be. The gag isn't too tight and we feed her once or twice a week. When we remember.

~~My current WIP is going well. Thanks for asking.

~~Some writer out there in cyberspace did a brilliant blog post about people not liking your book. She put it in wonderful perspective. Some people don't like bacon, some don't like chocolate, some won't like your book.

Carolyn and I had an interesting experience that was the flip side of that. There's a lovely young woman who on Goodreads rated both of our books 5 stars but gave some true classics less than that. I mean, she gave my upcoming The Stone Crow 5 stars and Robert Heinlein like, 3 stars. And I saw where someone gave Carolyn's Trials and Tribulations of a West Coast Southern Belle 5 stars but gave the brilliant Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen 3 or 4 stars.

Certainly I'm flattered to see my writing get 5 stars in someone's eyes but um... well, you get my drift.

~~Mollie and I are going to see Snow White and the Huntsman tonight. It's the first time we're going to a movie that isn't made for children. I'm very excited to see if she's going to be able to enjoy it (she wanted to see it more than me). I'm really hopeful. If this is the end of Alvin and the Chipmunk movies and Jack fucking Black, then my life just got so much better.

6 comments:

  1. Ah. that's awesome! I want to see that movie, too. What a great idea. FB, yes. too true. This coming week, i'll be hidden and/or unfriended by many, I'm sure, becuase I'm having a blog party and posting a little blurb and link every day.

    ...that is sooo annoying! :D But perhaps not as annoying as hearing about Cindy's yeast infection.

    It's absolutely mature to realize that not everyone will like your book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know which of you liked which ones, so I can compare to myself. Though it'll be funny if I have one from each of your lists on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally loved that clip too Lori - very cool. Might need to steal the idea if I start writing again...

    Oops.

    As to the McQuade's, not been there yet but I'll add to list. LEt ya know.

    I don't know about the movie though. I really cannot stand *her* and I don't want to waste 20 bux to watch her try and act. But I do adore Chris Hemsworth (he's Aussie you know *grin*). I might wait till it's on tele.

    Let us know how it goes and what Mollie thinks. I actually read an article today about all the 'fairytales' they are making in to movies now - some with 2-3 different versions - and how they will be darker and more like like the original (as in Grimm etc), less with the dopey princess waiting for her studly prince. Could be interesting.

    The article also mentioned that 'Tangled' is the last of the animated stuff, for now at least. I don't mind admitting I love me some animation. I guess this means I have to grow up now...

    :P to that!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up is over-rated :P

    Okay Willa: Carol loved Rafe (my least favorite) and I loved Jared (her least favorite). We both gave thumbs up to Devin (although his might have been my favorite) and I was lukewarm on Shane but Carol was two thumbs up.

    Regarding the movie... omg, that man was freaking fracking fucking hot. Kristen Stewart is beautiful but as dim as a candle in a cave. There is nothing going on in that woman's cranial cavity.

    Charlize Theron is stunning. Just stunning. The movie was good but not great. Mollie liked it but we;re going to see Brave next and that's animated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha - turns out I gave them all 4 stars, except Devin, which I gave 3 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet Devin was the best in my estimation. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete