Friday, April 22, 2011

Dear Carolyn,

Oh what a mess.

I work with a woman who has written a book. And she's decided to self publish. Well, actually she's going through a vanity press who's told her all sorts of bullshit about how easy it'll be for her to get bookstores to sell her book and arrange book signings.

I asked her if she's done any research into the self-publishing choices and she said she hadn't. I tried to open her eyes a little and gave her a number of websites to check out.

But she won't, Carolyn. She thinks that a book in her voice with editing done by her friends and a cover done by a vanity press and no web page or previous publications is going to be easy and make her a success.

My heart aches for her. It really does. She's so excited about finishing her book and I want to encourage her but who encourages people they like to jump off a cliff?

If there's one thing you and I have learned it's to do our homework. And we know never to go into things blind. We might make mistakes but they were chances we understood.

Oh well.

I'll be there to tell her that publishing is a hard business when her dreams aren't realized. And maybe if she wants to try for book number two, she'll research a little before.

No comments:

Post a Comment