Sunday, February 3, 2013

Why Self Publishing Makes Sense

All my life I wanted to be a published author. I wanted that even when I didn't write books. I wanted that when I started learning to write books. I want that now.

Years ago I sold my first novel to Lyrical Press and it was a brilliant experience. I sold other books to them and to other small presses. I never made money, not really. A stray $30 check here or $10 check there. One press paid me $50 and now I earn $0.98 royalty checks from them on an almost monthly basis.

So tax time is here and I'm getting my 1099s from publishers and all and it's a killer. Last year I made $43.00 with Lyrical. And I had 2 releases with them.

I made $65.00 with Barnes and Noble. From self pubbing.

I still have to get my Amazon stuff together but that's probably going to be about $300.00. I know it isn't a lot, not in comparison to a lot of other writers but compare that to Lyrical.

I'm not a great writer and I'm not a popular writer but my books get decent reviews and are enjoyed by readers. My publisher provides decent editing and covers but what else? They send the books to review sites which are small and generate no sales.

I put my own books up on Amazon, B&N, Smashwords (which includes Apple), Kobo and All Romance. My full length novels I can POD publish on CreateSpace. I have programs that make formatting easy peasy, I have my lovely Lea who makes rocking covers and I can put my own books on review sites to be ignored.

And I make a shiz load more money.

This year I intend to release a few books that are all part of a series (that started with Yesterday's Headline). I'll play with prices and promotion. My goal is to bring the sales numbers up and get a little recognition.

Nobody else can do this for me, I now realize. So I'll do it for myself. And now let someone else collect 60% of my earnings as I do it.

1 comment:

  1. It makes all the sense in the world.

    I've read similar accounts from Ann Bruce and, if memory serves, Courtney Milan.

    Self publishing does put a lot of pressure on you, mostly on the editing (both content and copy) but otherwise, it's all word of mouth, just as with other epublishers.

    ReplyDelete