Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Oh Lord ...

A short time ago, I sorta mentioned my opinion of lustful thoughts. I've expanded my list; you can add introspection,trust issues,descriptions of the person including eyes, skin, lips, hair, shoulders, waist, arms, legs and any clothing they might be wearing. Now, they're thinking all this - I believe it's called deep POV. I've decided I'm an action girl.

I've had to take a break from a book I'd been dying to read. I waited not so patiently for its release and dove right in as soon as it arrived. What did I get? Pages and pages of ruminations, from both the hero and heroine's POV. Is he this? He did that. What does this mean? He did her wrong. How can he gain her trust? Oh, look at him (start at hair, work down to boots), he's so handsome BUT ... and off we go again.

HOW ABOUT TALKING!!!!

Pages. And pages. My eyes glazed, I began to skim (because they began repeating themselves) and I just had to take a break.

I'm being pushed back to my SF&F beginnings just because in those books STUFF HAPPENED. And not just in the last third of the book but all the way through it. I'm gonna reread my Elizabeth Moon stuff. Yeah.

This is the second book in a row that's done me this way. It may just be me, probably is, but I don't need to know them that well. I don't know my husband that well and I've lived with him for forty years!

I've started The Iron Duke; so far, so good. :-) I think I may be going on an adventure, and the characters may think, but they'll by God be doing something while they do!

I hope, lol.

1 comment:

  1. Oh you are preaching to the choir my friend.

    I loved the Anya Bast books but only because I skimmed all the sex and the longing. Lord, these characters longed so much they made it an art form.

    I like a little hot sexxing but really, if that's all that exists then I'll go back to my Dr. Suess books. If I can find them. In the packing crates.

    ReplyDelete