Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Story Within A Story

So nano is kicking my butt and I'm having a wonderful time. I fell behind on election day and I'm trying to make up the words I missed. It's going okay and I'm enjoying the pleasure of a deadline.

I'm working on a magic realism kind of thing and one of my characters tells stories. Well, more than one does but Maria tells many stories and they all have something to do with what's going on but they're couched in symbolism.

It's fun and interesting to try and write stories of another culture. I don't know Mexican folklore at all so I'm researching a little and trying to make it sound somewhat authentic.

I used to love reading Yiddish/Jewish folktales and now it occurs to me that I should write something involving those. Damn, why didn't I think of that before?

However, I love writing the make believe folk tales. Since magic realism is best known for its Latino authors, it's good to give a nod of the hat to their culture. I hope I'm doing it well.

1 comment: