Saturday, October 19, 2019

Must Love Coffee by Sarah Mayberry

Hey Carolyn,

I saw your post earlier about romance stories and what I think of as the "meh" factor. And I totally agree. It's something we've discussed before: the preference for a story with romantic elements rather than a straight romance. It's just so damned hard to find a romance that works on all levels anymore.

That's why I want to tell you about a novella by Sarah Mayberry: Must Love Coffee. Apparently it's based on a real story but whatever... I just really liked the book all by itself. And I think you will too.

Our h/h are Daniel and Cassidy. Two career people who are hooked on coffee and have back stories. This isn't super deep. Cassidy's husband was a cheater who left her for another woman and Daniel is aching over the loss of his fur-bestie. So they're both hurting.

They also both have a wicked sense of humor. And that's the crux of the story. Because Daniel as a joke declares himself the Customer of the Week at the coffee shop that he and Cassidy both frequent. And Cassidy with a sharp sense of humor and moderate outrage is not going to sit back for that (after all, her coffee addiction is just as stunning as Daniels.)

And a war begins. A war of humor. A war of cleverness. A war between two people who need to escape their daily lives and have fun (proving they're still alive, still vital, still here).

I'm not going to go too deep into this because it's a short book and I want you to read it. It's clever and cute but more than that also. Because it isn't really angsty yet it captures an angst that was very moving. There was, for both these people, a wish to win this funny war because they were feeling diminished by their recent losses.

I'm not very into romance right now but reading this book was delightful and I was grateful for it. Give it a shot Carol. Then call me and we can wax poetic about coffee and pets we've loved. I think we'll both enjoy that conversation.

Lori

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lori -

    I've got this book lined up in my Fire library now and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    I think this is so neat! I get a review of a book that sounds right up my alley. And here's an idea: to show my appreciation, why don't I suggest a book that might appeal to you? And in return, you can show your appreciation back again. We can appreciate each other's tastes back and forth in small, not-so-private posts, lol.

    Lea, this book takes place in your part of the world, I believe. Please don't hesitate to chime in with any reading suggestions you might have.

    Thanks, Lori. :-) I'll try to get my return volley posted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyn, I will do my best to find something I think you both will like. I think I know what you're looking for... Maybe lol

    Lori, this does sound intriguing and at 99c Australian, it's not going ot break the bank so I bought it ;)

    I'm reading one now, that I'm not sure about and if I ever get to finish it, I'll let you know. I'm not sure if it's a romance though- it's about a chick who goes on a reality show to win the chance to design a dress for a princess to be. It's ok so far...

    Anyway, thanks for the heads up about this book and I look forward to hearing what y'all say about it once Carolyn has read it.

    xx

    ReplyDelete