Thursday, September 8, 2016

I'm in Lurve

If you've known me for a while, or even for a day, then you know I got my novel writing experience from writing fan fics.And whether you love or hate them, I unabashedly love them and am proud of some of the fics I wrote (and those I wrote with Carolyn).

I enjoy writing but I haven't had the same level of pure enjoyment in writing once I stopped writing fan fic. And I had a lot of reasons I assumed it was but recently I found out the truth.

Because I haven't been in love with the hero.

When I wrote fan fic, I was in love with my hero. I looked at his picture, I fantasized about him (and those fantasies became part of what I wrote), I felt giddy. When my heroes became characters I created with a little fandom shaping them, I wasn't as in love and the writing missed something.

I discovered this because I'm writing right now and I am in love with my hero. Utterly crazy about him. I want to write all the time so I can spend time with him. I want to know what he's going to do next. How will he win the heroine who is adamantly declaring herself unwinnable?

The secret about my hero is.... I'm writing a fanfic. I just spent the last couple of months binge watching House on Netflix and became completely immersed in that world. And I 100%, utterly and completely think Wilson is a hero. And in the realm of living in the afterglow of the show, I'm in love with Wilson.

So my character is Wilson. He's a little bit perfect but he has limits. He's sincere. He's the second banana and willing to remain so. And he's a perfect romance hero.

I'd write more about him but right now he needs to go fight with the heroine a little bit more. Then I have to figure out if it's going to be a gift of a cat or a hamster. But I trust Wilson will make the right choice.

I can't wait to find out. 

3 comments:

  1. I lurve that you're in lurve with your writing again. This makes ME happy :)

    I too have loved your FF and the stuff you have co-authored with Carolyn but you know this already. It was your stories and the enthusiasm you gave them that helped me when I was starting out and I can never thank you enough.

    Now, as to your current hero - tell him to get a move on. We need to know what's happening, stat!

    (like the hospital ref there.. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile, and honestly made my day. Go, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right, Lori and I can't tell you how glad I am that you're writing with enjoyment again. When it's finished I hope you'll put it up on Smashword so that others can discover the wonder that is Lori. (lol)

    ReplyDelete