Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The Lesser of Two Evils Is Still... Evil

This is s a personal rant. A personal opinion. This is not Carolyn's opinion: just Lori's.

I cried driving to work this morning. I cried because I'm heartbroken. Because the Democratic National Convention is going on and the party I've voted for and been a part of all my life is fractured beyond healing.

We did so well with Barack Obama. He was a breath of fresh air, a new beginning. He saw the world the way I want a president to see it: as a global community. He saw America for what it is: a melting pot of cultures, religions and people. Obama believed he could help bring America into the future as part of the global community, as a member of the world. The Republican party hated him but so many of us saw the world as he does and believed in what he wanted to achieve.

He didn't do as much as he wanted but this America moved forward. And as violence and terrorism is dominating the news, Obama is trying to keep the rhetoric down and keep this world a community. It's why he doesn't scream terrorism or Isis or "radical Islam" the moment something happens. He's trying to keep the hate at bay so the problems can be solved.

It's why Obama is a man who can say Black Lives Matter and cry when a cop is killed. Because the truth is self evident and he's never lived the "either/or" that so many are spouting. Black Lives Matter and cops aren't bad. One doesn't negate the other. Obama gets it.

Then we get Trump. That horrible, horrible man. He's like the Id gone wild: he hates anyone who isn't him and that's a white, Christian male. He judges women only on their looks, he mocks people with disabilities and the wall he wants to build isn't just to keep Mexicans from crossing our borders but to keep out anyone who isn't... yeah: a while, Christian male.

I believe that if Trump becomes president we might see American Muslims placed in internment camps. I believe that. I believe that we'll see people we thought we knew turn away from compassion and embrace xenophobia and hate.

So vote for Hillary, you tell me. Oh man, I wish it was that easy. Except that Hillary's moral compass broke years ago and I don't believe in her. She voted for the war in Iraq. She didn't support gay rights till it was fashionable. She just hired the bitch of the DNC to work for her after she rigged the nomination process to cheat Bernie Sanders.

Hillary Clinton is a career politician who doesn't vote her conscience or beliefs because she has only one true belief: advance Hillary. I believe she could, as easily as Trump, put us in a war. Hillary sold her soul long ago and Trump simply doesn't have one.

So my dilemma. I don't want to vote for Hillary but then that's equal to a vote for Trump which I can't do. I can't vote for either with any positive outcome for America. And I believe that voting is a privilege we should never take for granted.

So we have two evils and they're both evil. What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. I wrote this for another forum yesterday:
    "For those who absolutely despise Hillary Clinton, this is definitely one of those 'lesser of two evils' choices--but when "liar, stayed married to a philanderer, is shrill" is compared to xenophobia, racism, misogyny, bigotry, serial marriage, liar, doubles down on lies, thin skinned, scammer, fraudster, and on and on and on... Well, one of those evils is seriously lesser than the other.

    Think who, between those two choices--which, fair or not, are the choices on the table--you would want holding those nuclear codes for you, for the next four years."


    I also would ask you to read this thread on twitter.

    Nothing may not change your mind, and you may end up holding your nose with one hand and voting with the other, but sadly, life is rarely what we would want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's how I look at it: Hillary has done bad things *and* good things. Donald Trump has done nothing but bad things and promises to do nothing but more bad things.

    ReplyDelete