I know, every year I do it and every year I fail. I think the last time I did it I got about three days of writing before I stopped.
But this year I'm going to complete it and for entirely different reasons that before.
1. I'm not writing a romance novel. I love romance and love reading romance but it's not what I ever planned on writing. And it's not my first love. I love general fiction and that's what I'm writing. Just a story with no HEA but an interesting main character and a theme that intrigues me.
2. I'm not planning on writing 50,000 words. Nano is based on writing 1,667 words a day and at the end of the month you'll have written a 50,000 word novel. Except my intent is to aim for 80,000 words with this story. Not all written in the month of November. But as much of it as I can do. So I'm aiming higher.
3. My friends are doing it. Lea, Cheryl and Clark are signed up and what's better than nano-ing with friends? Completing nano with friends.
4. I need this. My life has changed so much in the past year and in the past month it's changed even more. I've become a caregiver to my family in a greater way than ever before. And this is how I plan on taking care of myself. I need to concentrate on doing this for me because I deserve the time and energy devoted to something I love.
5. I've been planning. I have an hour lunch daily and if I bring my laptop, that will equal a solid 45 minutes of writing and 15 minutes of eating. I can get up a half hour earlier every morning which will give me time also. I need to accept that I don't really do much writing at night because I'm tired after work and cooking and cleaning and need to zone more than I need to write. So I have to compensate for it in other places.
So Happy Nano-ing to everyone doing it this November. Remember: Write Or Die is killer successful at making word count appear (cause it deletes your words if you start slowing down). I think I'll be on Twitter this month for writing sprints and I'm always here and there on FB to sprint also.
Let's do this folks. A successful month to us all!