Friday, December 23, 2011

Welcoming Wendy Ely and her Midnight Secrets



Will Miguel’s whispered midnight promises ever see the light of day?


Content with her job as small town waitress and roll of single mom, Allison believes she's better off without a man. In her opinion, all they bring is chaos - and that includes the father of her child. So why has Miguel’s arrival shaken her so badly?

It's not easy for Allison to keep Miguel a secret with someone set on shutting down her bakery and the local sheriff believing she harbors a vendetta against the town because of her tormented past.

Keeping her secrets and clearing her name just might be harder than Allison ever imagined.

Content warning; This book contains cold family situations during the day and hot nights.

Excerpt:

She wasn’t like Christine, but that didn’t mean she would accept what he’d done. But how long would he be able to keep it from her? Each time they were together, he felt the words linger on the tip of his tongue, ready to slip out at any moment.

As he drove down Allison’s street, a nervousness settled over him. All the lights were off in the house. She always left her light on, but not tonight. He hoped she hadn’t fallen asleep. Even though he felt like a teenager again, sneaking in her house at night, he understood the issues she was facing tonight. Her mom was sick and no sitter. He’d do what he had to in order to see her.

As soon as he pulled into the driveway and flipped off the headlights, the front door opened. He climbed out, set the alarm on his car and hoped the beep didn’t wake anyone inside. She smiled at him as he ran across the yard and up the steps. His lips planted against hers.As far as he was concerned, he’d been away from her long enough.


She held the door open for him as she put her finger to her lips and said, “Shh.”

He nodded as he walked in and followed her down the hall. He peeked into a poster-covered bedroom and smiled at the sleeping teenager. “Hannah?” he whispered. Usually the doors were shut, preventing any sort of view of the kids.

She smiled back at him and stopped outside another room. “Kyle.” She pointed to her sleeping son.

She moved further down the hall, shut another bedroom door before stepping into her room. Done in creamy tones, the effectwas very girly, but he liked it. It somehow fit Allison. She seemed nervous as she folded her hands in front of her and looked at him with wide eyes. “You can sit down,” she whispered, motioning toward the bed.

Miguel sprawled out on the bed and reached for her. “Come here.”

She slowly walked over to him as he kicked off his shoes. With her hand in his, she sat by him on the bed. He pulled her down until her lips met his again, his heart pounding in his chest. He had to tell her the secret so they could move forward. The thought of telling her twirled around in his mind as he tried to focus on her tongue pressing against his.

Pulling away from him, she slid up to the pillows and under the covers. Her mouth formed into a sexy smile as she patted the bed next to her. He loved the itty bitty shorts she wore and the tight t-shirt hugging her curves. Even though the shape of her body made her a little uncomfortable, he had never seen a sexier woman in his life and if it took every day to convince her of that attraction, it would be worth it to him.

But first the secret.

He moved to her side, but leaned up on his elbow so he could look in her eyes. If she told him to go away, he would honor thatrequest, even though it would be less painful if she ripped his heart out.Taking a strand of her hair and looping it around his finger, he said,“Allison.”

“Yes.” Her gaze moved down to his lips, letting him know she was ready for another night of hot passionate lovemaking.

“I have something to tell you.” His heart pounded. His hands trembled. His heart prepared itself to break.

Interview

Writing is like the perfect solitary sport. I believe that writers, like athletes, need to be prepped and ready before they can write. What are your routines/preparations before you sit down to write?

Life is so busy for me right now.I go to college full time, work, homeschool my son, and my daughter attends a performing arts high school so we are often running to performances (she does ballet and guitar). I’m also a single mom so all of the chores rest on my shoulders. What does this have to do with my writing routine? Well, when I have a free moment, I have to just flop down at the computer and write without any routine beforehand. My writing time right now is stolen time from another job.

Before life turned crazy for me, I would have a big coffee (preferably Starbucks) and put on headphones with my favorite writing music.

Do you have habits as a writer? Always outlining? Never outlining? Keep a notebook with character information?

I never outline but do have a file with character information. I feel like I have to know the characters a little before starting the story. I might have pictures of people who resemble the characters a little bit but this isn’t required. I always write character profiles though. Not plotting ahead of time lets me discover the story as the reader would… a little at a time. I love the thrill of not knowing what happens next.

What was the inspiration behind this book?

I became inspired to write Midnight Secrets while I was in the middle of Confessions, the first in the series. I don’t like writing series so I had no intentions on expanding the lives of the people in Wilson, Arizona. Allison Montgomery is such a strong character that she had a hard time staying in the background. I needed to put her in her own book, to write her story. She became the main character in Midnight Secrets.

Being that we’re now in full-out holiday mode, what would you like to ask Santa for this year? (And if you say world peace, we’re allowing the reindeer to eat your chocolate).

I’d really like a Kindle. That’s right, I’m probably the only one you know who doesn’t own one. I often win books or have author friends sending me ebooks. To read them I have to sit on the computer for hours. I don’t like to do it that way. A Kindle would be so much better!

What would a reader discover in your book that excites you? (Such as, I always have characters based on us old farts but usually they’re the strangest or crudest ones. Carolyn usually includes a dinosaur or two as a small memento of her childhood.)

Coffee of some type usually appears somewhere in my books. Maybe its because I absolutely love the stuff?

Did you always dream of being a writer when you grew up? Any words of advice to aspiring writers?

I didn’t dream of being a writer when I grew up but I did start writing as soon as I was able to put the words together. I believe that my first attempt at a romance novel was at age 13.

My most important advice would be totake 5 minutes a day to write. Everyone has 5 minutes. Scribble the words in a notebook during a commercial of your favorite show, set the paper down on the counter and write while you are cooking... but why? Because it helps get you into the habit of writing every day. Also, often times I find myself planning on only 5 minutes and then I get sucked into the zone. I produce my best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment