Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ye Gods! a review by Carolyn

Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson



Okay, right away I have a problem. I have no idea what genre this book is.

Genre seems to be a very big thing. People won't read a certain genre, no matter how good the writer, characters or story.

That's just wrong to me. And yes, that's an imperfect sentence, but it says exactly what I want it to say.

So anyway, this book. It's by Joshilyn Jackson, her very first published book. And these are the opening lines:

There are gods in Alabama: Jack Daniel's, high school quarterbacks, trucks, big tits, and also Jesus. I left one back there myself, back in Possett. I kicked it under the kudzu and left it to the roaches ...

The book is a combination of mystery, a love story and a collection of the most eccentric southern characters I've ever read.

Arlene is drawn back to her hometown of Posset ten years after she left. She'd made a deal with God: she'll stop fucking every male body that crosses her path, she'll never tell another lie and she'll never return to Posset. All God has to do is ensure the body is never found. Arlene killed one of the gods, a golden haired quarterback.

Circumstances force her back to Posset and her boyfriend insists he'll come with her. He loves her, he sees she's upset and he wants to give her his support. He doesn't know the truth at first, but he's there for her.

But did Arlene really kill the quarterback? Burr, when he finally hears her story, thinks not.

The convolutions of the story, the spot on characterizations held me captive throughout the book. It's a way out there plot and yet the writing is true to life. At the end of the book, Arlene's family doesn't automatically fall in love with Burr, all for a HEA. Oh, Arlene is perfectly happy with him, her family still not so much so. You see, Burr is black.

Hell, this is a piss poor review. I never actually claimed to be able to do a good review. I only know if I like or dislike a book. And if I like it, it's because of good writing, good characters and a good storyline. I have no idea about the finer points of reviewing, so don't ask me, hear?

So, I liked this book. Might be a mystery, might be chick lit, for all I know.

But one thing I'm sure of; it's damn good.

5 comments:

  1. Well you sent me this book and it's been sitting on my TBR pile for *ahem* 100 years now.

    Now I wants to read it.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take your review Carolyn, over the so called 'professionals'. You tell us it's good and why. I hate reviewers who almost write a thesis and in hte end don't tell you anything. They try to make it sound like they're smarter than you but end up sounding like tools, imo...

    I don't tend to listen/read 'professional' reviews. If I went with what they said I'd miss out on some really wonderful stuff. Of course I've seen and read some absolute crap as well but at least I formed that opinion on my own and didn't need some 'scholar' to tell me.

    However, I do take on board reviews from friends. Because of one such review I read a wonderful book last year (The one about the Potato Peel Pie Society - can't remember the proper name oops lol) and I'm glad I did now.

    In a nutshell, keep reviewing how you see fit Carolyn and leave out the finer points if you like. Wouldn't want you to be just like the other reviewers now, would we :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No we wouldn't, and since I've never written a dissertation or thesis, and hated research essays, there's little chance of that happening. ;-)

    Actually, that quote from the book I used? I'm jealous as hell. I wish I'd written that! It's a one-two punch.

    Both Lori and I were excited about the Potato Peel book, because we've dabbled in email/letter stories for so long. It was great to see it could be done successfully. I would really like to see if we could do something with some of ours, maybe The Uncousins or Es El Momento.

    Hell, I just love eccentrics and Gods and Potato Peel are chock full of them. There's nothing better than a well written eccentric. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you should, you should!!

    I've only read smidges of one of them but enjoyed it thouroughly! I'll get back to it I promise but in book form it would be wonderful. I expect first dibs on a signed copy btw...

    I'd love to be able to write something in that way, I imagine it's loads of fun. Assuming both writer's are all on the same page. Can you imagine letters/emails going back and forth and neither is in response to what the last one has said? Hey, I have an idea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading this. I read it straight though. After retrieving it from it's "on hold for me" at the library.
    I loved it.
    I know most of those people. I am probably one of them.

    ReplyDelete