Friday, February 23, 2024

What Do Lori and Humpty Dumpty Have in Common?

 We both had a big fall.

Last Friday night I was reaching to put my phone away while on the bed and I was on the edge and went down. Ka-boom. Ka-blam. Ka-ouch.

I didn't break anything. But I hurt everything. 

I missed most of work this week because I couldn't walk. My PTO just slipped through my fingers without any pleasure in using it. 

I learned that I can ask for help. I have asked my apartment manager for help getting my cats fed and my garbage out. I asked my dear neighbor Mariah to take my laundry to get done (much cheaper than anticipated having a service do it!). I have asked Jack in the Box to feed me. 

It's been fucking hard. The pain has been extreme. The lack of care from certain family members has been disappointing. But I've done it. I've been terrified of falling because I didn't think I could handle it and it turns out that I can.

I'm starting to feel a little better. I finally got a shower today after a week and that meant the world. My cats have watched over me... oh, not George. He knocked over the cat tree in front of the main window and tore down the curtains. Then he pulled the screen off the window and escaped through the glass slats.

Anyway, I don't know when I'm going to be able to get up and down stairs. But right now I feel almost invincible because I got through this week and it's been hard.

2 comments:

  1. Good lord, Lori, I'm so sorry for the pain--and the different pain of using what miserly PTO one has just to cope with physical pain.

    But I'm so glad you didn't broke anything; that's a very real fear for those of us who reach certain ages, live alone, and have to use stairs with any regularity, as the consequences can be longterm terrible.

    And while I want to hiss and scratch at those family members (after all you did for them when they needed it, the fuckers), I'm glad you have other people in your life that you can reach out to, and that they rose to the occasion.

    Because you deserve people around you to help you out when you need it--and, really, just because you ask.

    Sending "less pain, more mobility" energy your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Proclaimers sang 'I'm on my way...' :) Seriously, take it easy babe. As t family, don't get me started. Sending hugs and good vibes xx

    ReplyDelete