Friday, April 15, 2022

What's Up With the Big Grrrls?


 I'm late to the party but I just met Lizzo. And to say that I'm in love would be an understatement. I'm in awe, in shock, in wonder, in amazement and yes, in love. 

Amazon Prime has a show "Watch Out for the Big Grrrls" and it's (sorry Lea) a reality TV show where Lizzo is looking for dancers to join her tour. She has 13 women, aged 20 - mid 30s audition. Those that make the cut move into a  house together: they dance, learn choreography and have a Lizzo inspired, life changing experience.

Can I mention that all these women are big? From big thighs and poochy bellies to big ass women who jiggle everything when they walk. Their thighs all meet, their boobs all hang and they are the fucking fiercest women. Like Lizzo herself.

The thing about this show is that it's not a standard reality show. When someone falls they're praised and lifted for getting back up again. When someone is noticed to have a difficult personality (multiple small skirmishes with multiple women), she's booted. No drama, no hate. This is a show about lifting women up. And celebrating all bodies, all women.

Did you know Lizzo just started a shapewear line called Yitty? OMG. The clothes are for big girls and  the models are big girls! Not some size 16 Lane Bryant types. 

Anyway, as someone starting a self-love journey, this show brought a lot of tearful moments. There was so much as the women shared their journeys. As Lizzo herself talked about how hard it is to love yourself when the world is out there telling you that fat equals unlovable.

If someone can't love me because of the size of my stomach, their love wouldn't be worth getting. Oh, which is another thing Lizzo keeps telling the women: don't listen to the people who say you can't, even if you're one of the people saying it yourself.

Anyway, I'm a little Lizzo & Harry Styles crazy right now. Talk about people who make you feel better by their existence. And of course Harry & Lizzo are friends.

I love this world.


3 comments:

  1. No worries - we like what we like and I just can't like reality, no matter how good you make it osund lol. Nice to know that this one does seem different and all the 'contestants'aren't out to backstab, cheat or being bitches so they can 'win'. The fact that they are also larger than life women is cool - bout damn time!

    Don't understand the Harry thing but hey, if you're happy I'm happy and that's all that matters, right? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Harry thing' is his music. I never realized what an amazing songwriter he is. Between him and Lizzo right now (as well as some upbeat oldies) my life is grooving.

      What are you listening to nowadays?

      Delete
    2. Oh, ok. I heard a snippet on the news the other night because he had broken some download record or something. Not for me but glad you can enjoy. Glad the life is grooving.

      Me? I'm listening to all manner of things, got the iTunes on shuffle lol. I just heard Lenny Kravitz' Are you gonna go my way (love it) and now I have Convoy by CW McCall. Throw in some ABBA, Bay City Rollers and Thompson Twins, you can't say it's all the same lol. I did hear a Divo song but Carlos took the opening lines and I couldn't do it. Not yet.

      Delete