Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Therapy

 


I promised myself I wasn't going to regurgitate my therapy appointments on the blog. And I'm most definitely going to keep that promise. 

Believe it or not, even I think some things are too personal to share.

But I did start therapy and for the first time in my 63 years of life: I finally have the right therapist. Now I realize that being born in 1958 and starting therapy in the 70s, there was not going to be the knowledge out there that there is now.

And being completely honest: sometimes the therapy I had was more harmful than the situations I was in therapy for. I still wince thinking of some of the therapists I've crossed paths with. Some of the things said that cut my soul.

The therapist I'm seeing was in the bariatric program when I met her and she was on her way out to start private practice. Unlike the other therapists in the program, she was open to the why of weight. She's also pursuing a career in 'trauma therapy' and well, I've decided that most women born in the 1950s - the 2000s probably have trauma (little, teeny-tiny joke there).

Anyway... I never thought that I would be in my 60s and start the work of healing my childhood. I never thought there was someone out there who actually says "eat the cookie" and has reasons why the cookie can be a good thing in your life.

I never thought there was anyone who could hear my truth without judgment and tell me that there can be healing.

And I absolutely never dreamed that instead of shame: there's life. And there's light. 

4 comments:

  1. "sometimes the therapy I had was more harmful than the situations I was in therapy for. I still wince thinking of some of the therapists I've crossed paths with. Some of the things said that cut my soul."

    I felt this in my soul.

    I am so, so happy you found the right therapist. Here's to healing--and to joy, to light, to life.

    ReplyDelete