Saturday, February 12, 2022

Love is Blind


 LOVE IS BLIND is a show on Netflix where a group of strangers meet in little rooms, not seeing each other's faces, and fall in love, get engaged, then meet, go on a honeymoon, return to the real world and within a month get married or have a spectacular wedding melt-down where harsh words are said and someone walks out in tears.

Obviously, I love it.

So the first season was in America. Then there was a season in Brazil. Now there's a second season in America as well as a season in Japan. And holy matrimony Batman! this is some seriously demented shit.

In the first season there were 2 couples who actually made it (I assume one of those 2 couples is still together because they were true adults who worked together at creating something and they were careful and respectful of each other - they were also an interracial couple so there was a lot of care given to families). 

But the first season also had the messiest vacuous blonde ever, Jessica (nicknamed Messica by all who watched) so her ass kept things intriguing especially as she kept avoiding her fiancee and trying to steal someone else's. Good times.

The Brazil season was good because there was a disaster couple but in stunning contrast there was another adult-minded, caring couple who just worked quietly together keeping a bond and building it. When they said "I do" it was a moment of relief that there was no last minute contrived drama. 

The Brazil season also had a beautiful woman who appeared seriously hoochie-mama but was a truly deep, lovely woman who deserved so much better that the asshole she got. She said no at the altar and I just found myself really hoping that she finds someone who deserves her... Jason Mamoa is available now. I wonder if he might take a trip to Brazil...?

So now we have Season 2 in America and Season 1 in Japan and omg, this is ridiculous. The American cast has chosen a couple of fat people which excited the hell out of me when they showed up in the beginning... but we haven't seen a single one since. So we have the fake blonde brigade finding love but the overweight and unconventional beauties aren't even wallpaper. Don't even see them in the shots of the dorms.

Love might be blind but the Netflix camera-people sure as fuck aren't.

And this season is a lot more sexual. The couples are in the rooms talking dirty, comparing favorite sexual positions and basically embarrassing their poor parents. I really only like maybe 2 of the women and 1 man there because they all seem ... I don't know. They're hard to care about.

Now in Japan. Wow. Some couples have gotten engaged and they have yet to hold hands. They're polite. There's such a cultural chasm and it gives me whiplash. I really want every one of those couples to work out (except the baseball coach in Kenya and the singer-songwriter because she isn't very warm and I think he can do better). 

But it's the level of respect. In America the men propose and say things like "I love you. I see us having a bright future." In Japan the men say "I will protect you. I will take care of you." And saying that isn't about sexism or infantilizing the women but rather offering the basic assurance a man can give a woman: I will be on your side and work hard to keep you safe in an unsafe world".

Anyway, I'm probably putting a lot more into these shows than they deserve but I will say that I know love doesn't have to be done face to face because I love a lot of women I've never met and will never meet and my heart is true. 

So Love is Blind. Fascinating. I'll probably write more about it because it fascinates me. 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds a lot like the Bachelor/Bachelorette series. Are/were you into them? I think I'll pass on this. 😐

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather sit out front and watch the driveway crack than watch this. Sorrynotsorry. ;)

    I mean, seriously? It's as 'real' as some arsehat producer and creator wants it to be, putting together people they know won't work, purely for the drama. At least that's my take on it. Great if some people do find their HEA but I'd rather be lonely and single the rest of my days than put myself out there for millions to watch, just to get my head on tele. No-one needs to see that... lol

    Look forward to your next post Ms Lori -I might not like these reality shows but I do love the comments you make about them. Now these, I could read all day.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea--people getting to know each other before face-to-face meeting--seems wonderful; I've friends I met online years before meeting them IRL, who are still my friends decades later.

    But that as reality tv? Yeah, no; those shows do everything they can to up the drama, and that doesn't just mean showing people at their worst/lowest, but also underhanded manipulation of the particpants by the producers. So, like Carolyn and Leah, it's not something I'd watch.

    (I do hope the couples that have made it, do make it once the cameras go away).

    ReplyDelete