Saturday, October 21, 2023

The End of My K-Pop Era

It's unfortunately official: my K-Pop era is ended. This is not a small thing for me and I'm handling a soft grief. But Korea has a mandatory 2 year military service requirement of all its men and my men are all gone.

There are many great K-Pop groups and many that are worth following and enjoying. But for me there was Monsta X. Mollie introduced me to them her senior year in high school and they made the transition from Mom to Mollie to empty nester a little more doable. Joohoney's solo album, PSYCHE, with it's manic rap, tear filled Stormy and jazzy love songs... came out during the pandemic and it's what describes the pandemic to me.

I loved these guys. They were young enough to be my grandsons, sexy enough to wake my libido and honestly nice enough to not be embarrassing. There was almost no toxic masculinity in these men, such a fabulous change from American men. I think about Justin Bieber and his pissing in buckets and disrespecting his fans and being a general dick and then you have these men who respect their elders, respect their fans and respect each other.

Shownu joined the military first but he left  others to keep going. And no slight to Shownu, but the albums released during the two years he was gone were amazing. The Dreaming was fantastic. Their American tour (post pandemic) was killer. 

Right when Shownu came back, Minhyuk left. Like immediately. (On a side note: there's been some photos of Minhyuk recently and he put on some weight and muscle and that beautiful boy has become a dropdead gorgeous Daddy.) Thought we'd have a moment to catch our breath: Shownu came and Minhyuk left. But then Joohoney announced he was going. And I started to feel so sad. (Honey is so special. My maternal side went into overdrive.) But it felt like only  seconds later that Kihyun was shaving his head and leaving too.)

So Shownu and Hyungwon released a mini album together and did a few stages. IM released a solo album (although I love IM, I don't care for his solo stuff. He's too emo teenager for my taste.)

And now Hyungwon announced he's joining the military in 3 weeks. He sounds happy and confident about it, and since 3 of his bandmates are already there then he feels more ready to go. And I am truly happy for him. He said he has no more fear about going so he'll do his two years.

I won't keep up anymore with them. Not really. They got me through a really hard time and I love them so much and will always be grateful. But they have their duty and my journey is not one of waiting.

Dear men of Monsta X: I love you. Whole heartedly, honestly, and deeply. You helped my heart when my heart was breaking. My loneliness wasn't as extreme because your music and your videos and online content kept me engaged and happy. Stay safe. Serve well. Come back to your Monbebe and find your happiness and loves.

I love you all so much.

1 comment: