Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Don't Do This

 Having a conversation with a friend and I say, "I'm stressed."

She says, "So is everyone."

I think: I'm not talking about everyone because I'm one person named Lori and Lori is super stressed out right now. Everyone else in the world might also be stressed out but that doesn't make my stress less, it doesn't make it go away and it doesn't mean I shouldn't be mindful of it. It also doesn't mean that you should dismiss me or my feelings because your empathy meter is hovering at zero

What I said was: "I'm still stressed."

***

If someone tells you how they're feeling, it isn't a competition. They aren't asking your opinion on what they're feeling. They are sharing something personal and important in that moment and it should be treated as important.

Don't compare your level of stress or unhappiness to theirs. Don't dismiss them becuse it's not important to you.

Be a decent human being for fuck's sake.

And by the way: I'm still fucking stressed.

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could find a way to help you out ♥ I can only send good vibes and you know tehy are always on the way to you.

    You're right about not telling people how you feel, though. I've noticed how you can say I feel xx and they will usually come back with well, I feel xx AND xx, as though it's a competition. Is it any wonder I keep to myself?

    I truly hope you can find a way to de-stress, even a little. I don't want anything to happen to you, my lovely Hawaiin friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm moving starting next week and if it wasn't for my lovely friends, this wouldn't be possible for me to do. I'm worried about the physical act of moving, about finances, about living in a new place...
    And in a couple of weeks this will be history and I know that too. But right now, living in this moment...
    I'm so very thankful to you ladies. I would literally be living out of a box if not for you all.

    ReplyDelete