Saturday, November 18, 2023

What Do You Mean I Had an Abortion?

 Bet y'all didn't know I worked in an abortion clinic? It was shortly after I adopted Mollie and it was a temporary position that became permanent. I loved the doctor, she was a sweetheart and the women that worked there were truly awesome people.

What you didn't know, because I didn't know, is that I had an abortion. I didn't know that until today. Truly. 

I was flipping through videos on You Tube and Chrissy Teagan was in a video talking about Roe v Wade being overturned and she said something to her husband John Legend about how sad it was that women "they" would not be able to get the care they need and John corrected her and said "we". Pointing out, quite correctly, when they miscarried their pregnancy, the fetus did not pass naturally and they went to the hospital and had a D & C, aka, an abortion to remove the fetus.

When I miscarried my twins, the fetuses did not pass. When I started bleeding, I gushed blood and yet nothing passed from my body. We wrapped towels and placed them between my legs and I bled through them.

My mom and I went to the ER and they said I needed to be admitted. I refused, I demanded they do what needed to be done that minute. I was terrified, nobody should lose as much blood as I was.

I had a D & C in the ER without anesthesia. It hurt like fuck but the fetal tissue was removed and I was no longer pregnant.

Until today, I just thought I had a miscarriage. But it wasn't just... I had an abortion because the fetal tissue wouldn't pass naturally. Without the D & C, I can't imagine what would have happened.

Until today I never realized that I dd, in fact, have an abortion. I am a little bit in shock right now. 26 years ago I had an abortion and didn't even realize it. Didn't realize that without that procedure I might have been in a lot of danger from just a little bit of unviable tissue that wouldn't detach.

Love y'all. Stay safe. Keep fighting for women.

2 comments:

  1. Hugs, my friend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::tight hug::

    I am sorry, Lori, for your loss; I'm so grateful you could get the medical treatment you needed, and that you are here today.

    .

    .

    .

    After I miscarried (between my two successful pregnancies), I had to go to my obgyn twice for him to check that all the tissue had detached successfully, and he explained that if it didn't, I'd need a D&C. I knew two people who had ended up in the hospital due to incomplete miscarriages, and was pretty scared. I was fortunate not to need one, but the deathly risk of infection is one of the reasons Ireland finally--finally!--made abortion legal.

    I hate knowing that there are assholes in the U.S. who will nod soberly and count dead pregnant people as a "just price to pay" for the "life" of embryos or fetuses with little to no chance of survival.

    ReplyDelete