Thursday, March 4, 2021

Memories

 I recently saw an ad on Instagram for a journal to be written by mothers to their daughters. I had a small snicker at the idea of Mollie reading my memories and rolling her eyes. "You already told me that story," she'd mutter.

She says that every time.

Maybe it's about getting older or maybe it's just the idea of how small but special our lives are. But those things we remember, those small moments from our life that remind us of moments that have passed...

I remember the house in Laurelhurst. That was the only house we ever lived in that was my home. When I dream of going home, it's always to that house. My only real home.

It was a red brick house. I remember the brick stairs at the front of the house and a rhododendron bush on each side. My mother loved rhododendrons. The side of the house had a brick wall and iron gate which led to a small side yard. There was nothing special about the side yard but I remember it being so green and lovely. And quiet. Did I spend much time there? I don't know if I did but I feel like it was someplace I hid with a book.

But the memory I have: the cherished memory of a moment that meant nothing but I remember as clear as yesterday was sitting on the front step. I was a chubby girl, I was wearing shorts. It was a warm spring day. I remember the coldness of the brick under my skin. Even today, I can perfectly recollect that feeling of the cold brick, the warm sun and how it felt.

Memories are funny things. As I remember that moment, as my body slips right back into that feeling I'm still that girl. I'm always that girl. I'm a 62 year old woman with shot knees and a shuffling gait, but I'm that girl feeling the cold brick under her skin, the only home she will ever know behind her back and the endless wonder of a warm spring day.

2 comments:



  1. Memories, am I right? I can't remember yesterday but then I'll hear a song or see something and it will also transport me back to a time or place. I love the memory of your fave house, Lori. I've lived in so many I need a White Pages to keep track (Only slight exaggeration lol) but I too had a fave. I always joked that when I won lotto, I would pick the best features of each house I had lived in, only to realize I was going to need at least 10 hectares... Good thing wishes are free.

    Miss Mollie might roll her eyes but I'll bet she cherishes those stories too. They are what make you, you; a collection of events, places and people that helped get you to what and where you are now. Sure, some things are eye-rolling but would you change any of it? Maybe. I know I might but then would I still be me?

    Too deep a conversation for this hour of the morning lol. I hope you do get the journal, or even do soemthing similar. Sounds like a great idea. Big hugs to the young and old you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how clear some of our oldest memories are but ask me something I did 2 days ago and for the life of me I couldn't remember. A lot of my memories are of playing baseball or hide and go seek just before dusk with all the kids in the neighbor hood It's so sad that so many kids of today will never have those kinds of memories just because of the way times are today. We all would spend hours and hours playing outside and hanging around inside the house, well, we just didn't do it.

    ReplyDelete