Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Jane Doe and Victoria Helen Stone = My Forever Mood

Problem Child by Victoria Helen Stone is book 2 of the Jane Doe series (God, I so hope this is a series because Jane is the Queen). Anyway, the book dropped yesterday and I finished it today and I'll reread it in about a week to really savor so much more but...

it's as good as the first.

Jane hasn't changed. In fact, she's as sociopathic as ever and her story is, as always, riveting. In Problem Child, Jane's niece is missing and so Jane goes home (ugh) to find her niece and find out if she's as sociopathic as Jane.

I'm not going to discuss the plot because I don't think I read Jane for the plot as much as I read her for her. Jane is a brilliant character and I think she's so fascinating because there's a little Jane in all of us. Now I can hear Carolyn right now saying "I ain't nothin' like Jane" in her Southern accent even though she's a Canadian deep down, but ha! we all have a piece of something inside that's greedy or uncaring or cries out for revenge.

Jane is the answer to the patriarchy (another ugh). Jane is the woman who sees men as they really are and uses them, she's uncaring about being judges and she can't be manipulated because she knows all the tricks.

The men at work who think they can have her do all the work and they get the credit? Dust. The pick-up artists in the bar? Child's play. The man who loves her? Sorry but even he's getting played.

I'll do a better review in a few days but wow, this book is a blast. Read it for Jane. Understand how she's guided by hunger, interest and lack of emotion. And then just for fun, compare her to yourself and others and ask yourself how many sociopaths do you know?

2 comments:

  1. Intriguing... On the list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading this book but I want to reread Jane Doe first. Also, I've become obsessed by Paint by Numbers, an Amazon app. And I DO mean oabsessed!

    Glad you enjoyed it, can hardly wait. Thanks for the review, I'm glad it meets expections. :-)

    ReplyDelete