Friday, December 1, 2023

Happy Birthday, Asshole

 So since I moved out of my brother's house, our gift giving changed. We used to be big on gifts for all occasions and it was big fun. But then Mollie was gone and I was gone and my SIL went to Italy and my brother started planning trips and we decided to stop exchanging gifts. We'd use our money the way we want to and for them that's planning trips and for me... whatever.

Anyway, we started buying each other dinner for birthdays but this year got a little messed up and I didn't choose to drive up to their house for dinner so we didn't. Now my brother's birthday is on Dec. 10 and I asked him, would you like dinner or an REI gift card?

He chose the gift card.

So this year I am a little obsessed with Advent calendars. Everyone in my family has received one from me. And I thought it would be really fun to play with my brother and so I planned to send him a $10 gift card from REI on each day of December, leading up to his birthday ($90) and then on his birthday send him a $50 card. And each card would have a "funny" message...

Anyway, today was gift card #1 and he texted me and blew it up. Was ungrateful, stepped on the joke to prove he saw right through what I was doing and really killed the whole thing. Just murdered it. No point to it anymore.

And I'm pissed. He could have played along. Collected the gift cards, give a small chuckle and let it play out. But he squashed it. (I told him that men just don't have a sense of humor.)

Carolyn said send him a $25 gift card on his birthday and forget about it. I don't even want to bother. I'm mad. He had no reason to kill my gift like that except to prove something (I don't even know what he proved.) I think I shouldn't even bother. 

Advise please. What would you do?

4 comments:

  1. I know what I'd do but I'm too much of a lady to tell you...

    Fuck that and fuck him! Seriously, he should be thankful for a gift at all, no matter the form it takes. Seriously? Ungrateful bastard.

    You should spend the money on Mollie instead, or yourself and just don't worry about him. Men don't have a sense of humour but he was down right rude as well.

    Family is family and we can't do shit about that, which is why we go out and make a new one with the people we know will love and respect us and treat us like a decent human being. I picked you and I'm more than happy I did.

    If all this shit with my Dad has taught me anything, it's that life is short and we don't need to be dealing with asshats who live to make others miserable. Sorry babe, he is your brother, but I'd be having nothing to do with him if he's going to be a tool. Give the money to a charity, for someone who is going to appreciate it, be it ten dollars at a time or ten dollars all up. I know I could use it... :)

    Love ya long time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably send him a digital greeting card and be done.

    It's not this one thing, it's that he's an asshole to you constantly, for years.

    (but then, I'm a grudge holding asshole, so you may want not to listen to me)

    ::hug:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with being a grudge holding asshole, AL. I'm right there with you! ;)

      Delete
  3. I did the cards anyway, He has been funny, sullen, controlling but I'm just doing my thing.

    ReplyDelete