Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Trouble in Texas by Katie Lane

I can't remember how I stumbled onto Katie Lane and her books. I do know I'm reading out of order, because Trouble in Texas is not the first book in the series. But that's okay. It stands up fine all by itself and I enjoyed the hell out of it.


That there is one fine looking cowboy. 

So. Here's the blurb:

Inheriting the most notorious house of ill repute in Texas can spell trouble for a girl’s reputation especially when she’s Elizabeth Murphy, Bramble’s prim and proper librarian. Yet when she discovers a buck-naked cowboy handcuffed to a four-poster bed, she forgets all about the town gossips.  Elizabeth has sworn off men, but the stranger’s kisses melt her resolve faster than ice cream on a hot summer day. 

Waking up in Miss Hattie’s Henhouse isn’t how Brant Cates reckoned on getting to the bottom of his great-granddaddy’s murder. The plan was to solve the centuries-old crime, then get the heck out of Dodge. But after meeting Elizabeth and discovering that the buttoned-up beauty is a sexy siren in disguise, he just can’t pull himself away. Now Brant needs Elizabeth to finally put his past to rest, but is she willing to risk her future on Bramble’s newest bad boy?

The henhouse was quite the place in its day. Unfortunately, only three ladies are left; I think the youngest is 85 years old. They are old hens but they aren't ready for the stew pot just yet. Back in the day (like a century ago), Miss Hattie had quite the successful business. She also had rules for her business and these rules have become chapter headings, some of them lip twitching good, such as"

Rule #14: When unexpected things arise ... rejoice.

Or:

Rule #44: Don't give away the cart unless you've sold the horse.

Or:

Rule #31: A laid hen is a happy hen.

The book is full of Texas eccentrics and I do love me some eccentrics. It's a happy book for the most part, although some heavy things are covered. Brant's younger brother, Beau, is a cancer survivor which is worrisome and Brant lost his wife and son some years ago, so he's working through some issues. And of course, as many heroines do, Elizabeth has mama issues.

Still, I wouldn't call this a deep book per se. For me, it was a feel good book. I never was quite sure what the hens were up to, but that Minnie is a Class A manipulator and it was a pleasure to watch her work. So much so, that I had to get the next book in the series, Beau's story, Flirting with Texas. So I'm still reading out of order, lol.

I recommend these books if you're looking for a light, humorous read. I plan on trying more of Ms Lane's stories because, really, what's not to like about cowboys?

3 comments:

  1. Can't say I've ever had a thing for cowboys but then again, I haven't not had one either... I think? LOL. Happy to give it a try though. I might have to look for the others first - stand alone as it might be, knowing that it's part of a series will irk me to the point of distraction, and I will spend more time wondering what might have been a reference to past tales... Yes, I am THAT kind of reader lol.

    A side note - does anyone else think it's all cliché and hackneyed that the prim and proper school marm is a sex kitten underneath?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori asked me if this was a contemporary and yes it is. Sorry I didn't mention that. :-)

    Lea, despite the blurb, I don't know that I'd call Elizabeth a "sexy siren". She does have a lush figure that, due to her upbringing, she hides beneath unsexy clothes, but her personality has been shaped, to a degree, by her man hating mother, and at the beginning of the book, she's not really aware of her sexuality, nor does she want anything to do with ANY man.

    Of course, true love will win out. ;-) And hey, the hero has his own hangups. Status quo, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for clearing that up Carolyn. I'll add it to the list of books to try and try :)

    ReplyDelete