Monday, December 28, 2020

Bridgerton

 If you're on Twitter then you know the talk is all about Bridgerton, the new Netflix series. Based on the Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn, it's a love or hate.

I read the books (not all of them since finishing series is not something I aspire to but I remembered enough of the book to have moments of "oh yeah, I remember this).

So love or hate? I loved it. The hero, Simon is played by Rege-Jean Page who is utterly delectable. He's so fucking hot and when he turns a heated gaze onto the heroine my panties had scorch marks. That man has perfected the sexy smolder.

The heroine Daphne was so nondescript... she was probably perfect in the role but she was just bland as hell. I loved everyone else. The costumes were inspired. Not the proper ladies because they were boring. But oh my, the other ladies with their crazy colors and swelling bosoms. I was in heaven watching this.

So the things that people disliked was the casting being diverse. The Queen was black, the hero was black. Black, white, Asian... maybe it wasn't realistic but there was no reason not to have a diverse cast. As Karen Scott (from the former Karen Knows Best blog) said: why not show people having an experience that isn't tied to slavery trauma? Why can't these folks, just like white folks, have the pleasure of escapist fluff with people who look like them?

(We all need to see people in entertainment who look like us having more experiences than just 'ancestor was slave' or 'I can't birth no babies Miz Scarlett')

The other thing that got people's panties in a bunch was a scene where the H/h are having sex and the Simon does not want to have children and Daphne does and she gets on top and he ejaculates into her which was very not okay. So a non-consensual sex thing during a consensual sex act where a 90 pound heroine was atop a 180 pound, muscular, athletic man and he couldn't just lift her off of him and ejaculate on her stomach as usual.

That seemed silly to me.

Anyway, watch the damned show. It's delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment